Sliding Doors

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

CONFESSION TIME.... IT IS IN FACT POSSIBLE TO BE "TOO GOOD" AT YOUR JOB. IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE, TO BE SO GOOD, THAT YOU ARE FIRED, AHEM "SEPERATED" FROM IT BECAUSE YOU ARE OVERQUALIFIED FOR YOUR POSITION. 


Yup, I was separated from my employment last week.  It is honestly a rather laughable situation when you read the first paragraph above. I seriously was "separated from employment," because my 5 year plans were too grand (advancement in any means, and a full work load), and I was clearly over qualified for my current position, so they had no choice but to let me go, for my own good, of course! Ha! I have never been so shocked in all of my life. But like I mentioned in my last post, before this heinous crime on American work ethic and drive occurred, my life has been a bit tumultuous as of late, so it is probably for the best.

In all honesty, I was feeling rather dissatisfied, with being handed crumbs to work on instead of the whole pie. I learned a lot from the situation, I learned even more about how to ethically treat people in the work place, and how to value work product and motivation.  I do no know that I will ever understand the idea of firing an employee because they are over qualified, want to advance within the company, are willing to work harder than they currently are, and are asking to sit idle as little as possible. In my world that equivalates to the ideal employee. I guess not in this case. I had to deal with all sorts of Human Resources violations and was absolutely wrongfully terminated, but I hold the company itself with the highest regards, and I would hate to tarnish their brand, simply because one of their employees is absolutely terrible at their job. It is rather unfortunate, because, while I don't plan on pursuing this further, at some point someone will, and it kills me that a great company will be harmed in the process.

Gosh, this whole scenario is such a strange thing. So anyways, back to sliding doors, that door has closed and its time for me to start afresh slide open a new shiny door, and seek gainful employment elsewhere. I do have to decide, where this leaves me. This is a great opportunity to take a look at what it is that I loved about my job, what I excelled at, and what things left me mightily discouraged.  I am confident that I will find something else, but my overarching desire to change the world, to change things, to be a meaningful member of society and to make a mark on this beautiful world, is still there, and that has me baffled. When I went back to work, I do so with gratefulness and ease, and was excited at the idea of re-entering the work place after being a stay at home mom for so many years. This time around, with the tears still fresh, the ink from the printer still drying I have to ask myself, if going back and doing meaningless clerical work, is what I want to do, or if this is the opportunity to change the game. Is it?! How do we know, when it is time, to throw a wrench in the motor, stop everything and change course? Is there some type of sign that drops down from the sky and tells you, this is it, this is your chance to change the world, this is the day you've been waiting for, the cause you have been fighting for all along, the chance to change things, this is IT.

I find it hard to believe, that something like that would just magically fall from the sky and land in my lap, but I also absolutely love the idea of making something from nothing, from creating a beautiful, articulate, lovely picture of a life from scraps and broken pieces.  People do it all of the time, so why not me? I am excited, I am encouraged. I have yet to figure out what it is, this thing, this cause, but today, on the eve of what already is the greatest step forward in woman's rights since 1789, I suppose it's a great day to dream big dreams. A woman is on the ticket for President of the United States, she did it, for all of us. She dreamed a dream, sat beside a man who was there, and is now doing it for herself and our nation. I have no idea what her term will look like if elected into office, but I do know, that she is changing the game for women everywhere, and for that, irregardless of what you do or do not think of the candidates or where your vote will fall, we should all be standing together. This is a momentous occasion, women have changed the world. This is my moment, my blessing in disguise, my chance to be a phoenix and rise from the ashes anew. I may not be an electoral candidate but I am still capable of much more than even I know yet, and no man shall ever put asunder what I myself decide to do. I will change the world, I will be the change I wish to see, and that will be enough.

Thanks for listening.
Xo



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts